Thursday, November 14, 2013

iGive-Day 4-The Real Thing

Read Isaiah 43:1-7, 10-12 NIV

The other night I fell asleep on the couch and woke up to the world of infomercials. I was amazed that virtually every channel was showing some type of paid programming. One show promised I could become a millionaire working just 10 hours a week, while another promised I could lose inches from my midsection instantly, while yet another promised that I could get a college degree from home in just weeks. I couldn’t help but wonder how many people were out there falling for these quick-fix scams.

I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from Me there is no savior.  (Isaiah 43:11)

It occurred to me that we also often try to find shortcuts in our spiritual life as well. We hope that while we make other things like making money, furthering our career, or raising our children the central focus of our life, our relationship with God will naturally grow strong and healthy. But there are no shortcuts in developing a deep relationship with the one true God.  In time, we learn that there is nothing in this world that can satisfy our soul like Jesus.


God, today forgive me for not making You the central focus of my life. You are the only real God and you are the only One who brings peace to my heart. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment