Wednesday, November 13, 2013

iGive-Day 3-The Power of Words

Read Ephesians 5:15-20

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord… (Ephesians 5:19)

WHEN I WAS a teenager, I was a member of our church’s youth choir. We practiced on Sunday afternoons and would often perform in our church’s Sunday night service. One Sunday night when I was about 15 tears old, I was scheduled to sing my first ever solo. During the service, my nerves got the best of me and I was imagining all of the worst case scenarios in my head: my young voice cracking, forgetting the words, or losing my place in the song.
            Moments before we were scheduled to sing, an older student in our youth ministry leaned over to me and said, “Don’t be nervous. You know this song and I believe in you!” I was so encouraged that I stood and sang at the top of my lungs (probably off key) feeling like I could conquer the world…all because of a few words of encouragement.
            In our world, positive encouraging words are in short supply. From the classroom to the work place and even (at times) at church, hateful negative destructive words wound hearts and break spirits. But, here in this passage, Paul commands the believers at the church at Ephesus to speak spiritually encouraging words to each other and to have a song of love in their hearts. We need to remind each other of this admonishment today and encourage one another in the Lord.
                                                                                                               
 Lord Jesus, today help me to be a source of encouragement to each person I encounter.




No comments:

Post a Comment