Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Victory-Our opponent is real!

Victory...it's far better than defeat. Last night I watched my hometown Memphis Tigers lose to Florida 77-75 in the Jimmy V Classic at Midison Square Garden. They had a shot to win but missed at the buzzer. They should have a great season this year, but it was disappointing to lose such a big game.

In college basketball we know who our opponent is...but what about in our spiritual lives? When we experience this victory we are talking about, how do we know what things we are experiencing victory over each day? This will be the topic for our next sermon specifically, but I want to make the point that victory is specific in each of our lives because our temptations are specific in each of our lives. 

The scripture says that we have a real enemy...his name is Satan. He is the most powerful fallen angel and he desires to defeat God's children in any way possible. Consider what Peter wrote...

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.  1 Peter 5:8-9 NIV

Satan can't keep us from inheriting eternal life with Jesus, but he will do everything he can to make sure we never experience the life that Jesus promised here on earth...to make sure that we never experience victory in our walk with Christ. As we said Sunday, the key is focusing on Jesus and not our failures.

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14 NIV

Do you need to forget the past and press on towards the goal of experiencing real life in Jesus? What is holding you back today?

Dear God, give me the courage today to let go of my past and to focus my eyes on You! In Jesus' name, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment