Monday, February 23, 2015

The Great Call-Return to The Lord

As we dive into this new sermon series, I want to start us off with one simple question...

What has God created you do to in life? What is your calling? 

One of the existential question every person struggles with in life is: why am I here? What is my purpose for living?

For those who don't have a relationship with God, who don't walk with Him...this question can be very intimidating, even depressing. But for those of us who have surrendered our heart and life to follow  God's plan for us, there is a clear answer to this question.

Jeremiah 29:11 is a much-loved passage that has been memorized throughout the ages...

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 

This passage was written to the exiles in Babylon who believed that their hope had been crushed and that they had no future. Notice what God says in the peceding verse 10...

This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. 

Because of their idolatry and unfaithfulness to God, they had suffered the consequences of their sin. Jerusalm was destroyed and they were prisoners in exile on the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers in Babylon. Even so, God still had a plan for them as a people, a plan to bring them home an to prosper them as a people.

Maybe you can identify with the Israelites. Maybe you are paying the consequences of some unwise choices and maybe you feel that God will not give you a second chance. Maybe you had a dream once, but that was too long ago and so much has happened. But notice what God says next...

Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.” 

Regardless of our past choices, of our current place in life...we can call on God and He will bring us back from our place of disobedience.  But that is the key...we must seek God with all that we are if we wish to be restored by His grace and mercy.

Then we can shout " Here I am God, what have you called me to do?"

Do you need to call out to God today? Do it right now and let God bring you back from your place of captivity onto His path for your life.



No comments:

Post a Comment